GLAMP'ing? The definition is taking the art of camping to the level of LUX design in an over the top way. Picture large scale outdoor wedding tents, colour highlighted with lanterns, linen, the candles....flowers n' twigs. Take this vision and relate it to the everyday tent and picnic table..... this starts the conversation on the new design sensation for summer camping. As a designer I love the idea of bringing the good old camping design into the age of LUX......naturally!
Of course there are some top drawer 'Glamping' designs that incorporate the Yurt or large scale safari tents - which allow for some dramatic chandelier placements. But I want to look at the everyday six man tent and picnic table, and how can we make that GLAMP!
Here is the TOP Ten creative elements for designing your GLAMP'ing site:
No. 1 is the TENT
- use a basic tent, then drape it with decorated flag banner.
- create your own tent with a canvas waterproof cover/tarp, then layer textiles and banner over top.
No. 2. the Lighting
- for a large tent, hang lanterns inside from the center or hang a string of patio lanterns.
- a wrought iron tea light chandelier (HELLO Stunning!)
- for a small tent hang lanterns outside the entry flaps, maybe a collection of three.
- extend this lighting them over to the picnic table or 'outside dining space' - with larger lanterns or paper lanterns
- Hang crystals pendants to reflect lights and add whimsy to the space.
**Please use caution and commonsense when hanging candle chandeliers, note clearance and fabric to alleviate fire hazards.
No. 3 the Seating Lounges
- if you have a large tent, or can set up a double room tent use one as your lounge. This will include a center table, an out-door area rug, hanging lanterns for reading or playing games.
- for a small tent, create an outdoor patio with an overhang on one side draping textiles, again add lanterns and string patio lights/solar garden stakes - an outdoor area rug and chair blankets.
No. 4 Textiles
- hang bug screen drapery or vintage textile panels to create privacy and protection in your Glampsite.
- Infuse the space with pillows and floor cushions, mix your patterns and bold colours.
No. 5 Tableware
- stainless steel containers, for serving dishes
- mason jars for cutlery
- melamine dishware, so many exciting patterns to choose from. My favorite is the pink flamingo ones from Anthropologie!
- Glassware, bring patio goblets and cups. Nothing says good morning than a fire brewed cup of coffee and a vintage mug! Delish
- set up a dish washing table, incorporate a patio ice basin and twig n' wild flower vignette! Hang Up a rope line for a banner of dish towels. Incorporate more whimsy by using those travel tea towels!
No. 6 Accents
- use crates to create outdoor storage, and also double as side tables!
- Themes......Pink Flamingos to dress up your space, sparkle ones rock!
- another theme is to use your country flags as drapery, and play off it with accent colours.
- wicker baskets and trunks make a great storage and accent,
No. 7 Chairs
- the Adirondack chair, wood or in bold colours, I love the teal and turquoise ones.
- the basic fold up, to stools and benches.....to the familiar fold up 'camp chair' in bold textile patterns.
No. 8 Area Rugs
- sea-grass or bamboo rugs,
- Indian print rug,
- fabric weave pattern
- animal hyde........
No. 9 Floor Lamps
- Yes why not bring a vintage floor lamp, and have it outside your tent or trailer area! Depending on your textiles and theme you could introduce a style or shade with an industrial twist or a route 66 one!
No. 10 Wheels.....
You can also use your trailer or sleeping style vechile (van - rv) to set the stage too! In design of any space always explore the 'Think outside the box' mentality, that way your possiblitiites are endless.
Happy Trails Dharlings, Your Glamp'ing Design Expert!