Does it really? Or have you just not had enough coffee this morning and lost your focus? Ok so both, reality has set in.....hosting Christmas events...where will people sit and gather, (the in laws!)- the food AND what will people think of my kitchen? Carol just had hers updated......oh my word MY PLACE SUCKS!
Never fear YOUR design Christmas miracle is HERE. (whewwwwwww! RIght!) First off pull yourself together, your smart and love hosting so your half way there- and bonus people love to gather at your place! You just need some direction and a list to get you back on the focus plan. Easy Peasy!
If your space is looking grim and tired here are some quick tips to help with entertaining at the holidays. First take a walk about your space with your notepad - analyze the space with these questions?
- Lighting, is there enough (interrogating or lost)?
- Clutter, is the space choking on itself?
- Seating, is there enough?
- Revamp, what can I give new purpose to or bring a new?
You may want to do your entertaining spaces only with this task. Spaces such as the Living Room or Lounge, the entry, Kitchen or Dining Room, guest room and the powder room. Don't feel you have to do your whole house......make that a new year mission.
Now REVIEW your list over a coffee and make a list of Tasks with a Pick Up and Drop Off section.
Lighting - if the room felt like an integration gallery chances are you should install a table or floor lamp. You have one that is dated? Great just pick up a simple shade. (List Reads, Pick Up shade, Drop off shade)
Clutter- this seems to creep into every space as we have this habit of piling up what we need all the time in entries and kitchen counter tops. OK so PUT THAT @)($@#) away! Put it where its supposed to be and if your not using it......add it to the Drop off side of your list. All of a sudden the space has regained its respect and dignity....and looks fab! Is your space still not fab? Hmmm install a few baskets for items this will work wonders and still keep you on task.
Seating - this is always an issue at the holidays. Not everyone has dining rooms that seat twelve, or lounges that hold them either. But don't be scrambling when hosting to find seats for your guests. Think in advance! Pick up two folding chairs that can be stored in a closet. Pick up a plain wooden bench that can be used for seating, or as a side shelf in an entry later. Install a few counter stools? If you only need casual seating, invest in a few cube boxes that double as storage/tables. Floor cushions are always inviting too.....relax and gather.
ReVamp or 'aNew? This is where your creativity can shine. Its in the details at this time of year. Have a tired sofa or chair, revamp them by injecting a luxe throw and seasonal pillows. Have pillows that work, tie a Festive bow on them.....they will look amazing! Windows that look incomplete, pick up a set of pre-made curtain panels this instantly will add warmth and set the mood. Add a vignette on a vintage tray (candles).
- For a dining table add a seasonal runner too, try this even in a kitchen maybe with a novelty one - add some fun to the space! Napkins.....inexpensive way to add a pop of colour or creative words. Feeling crafty......stamp your own! Revamp those kitchen chairs with seat cushions. Fresh florals work too!
- In a guest room pick up a new sheet set,add few festive pillows. Then add a travel candle to the bedside table and try for a glass of water & chocolates. Think of your guest room as a hotel room and you will always have folks smiling that you took the time to make it welcoming. New Linens Not in the budget.....wash those linens in a beautiful scent....such as lavender!
- In the powder room ensure there is always a stock of fresh linens, or add a box of disposable hand towels. A scented candle and lux hand products set the stage. Maybe even a jar of mints.......
So now you have some confidence infused into YOUR mantra of 'Crushing it' as the hostess. You have a list of Pick Up and Drop offs (donations) that help you and may in fact help someone else. Your spaces are clearer and somehow feel new.....wel done - such a superhero you are now.
Best of the Best Dharlings,
PS - Those Carol's won't know what them!